3.01.2008

2006 Revisited - Allagash Dubbel & Heavyweight Perkuno's Hammer


Allagash Dubbel - This has been in my collection since early 2006. I'm really amazed with how well this one has aged, and I'm sad that this is my last bottle. Pours a deep brown with a rich, tan head. The aroma is intensely complex, with notes of chocolate, port, caramel, mint, toffee, plums and dates. The taste is fantastic, with huge dark fruit notes, combined with sweet chocolate and caramel, with a strong, dry, grainy finish. A great, authentic tasting Dubbel that ages like a champ.


Heavyweight Perkuno's Hammer - God do I miss Heavyweight. I mean, for real! They were always one of my favorite American breweries. Their beers were always so interesting and special, and focused much more on the malt, the yeast and the fermentation of beer, and not the crazy hops. I've had this since in my cellar since May of 2006, and thankfully have one bottle left, which I may save for my deathbed. Pours a still black with no head. Smells funky and sour, almost like a brett stout, with strong cherry and berry notes. The taste is heavy on the funk, with loads of complexity everywhere. Surprisingly carbonated, with lots of dark fruit notes and a port/sherry feel. Super clean and slick, with a long, sour, bitter, roasty, hell.. perfect aftertaste. I haven't had chance to try Baltic Thunder, but I can't wait. And, I'll be sure to check out Tom and Peggy's new place once it's up and running. I wish I had a case of every one of their beers left. .Brewing legends..

No comments: