3.06.2008

Evergreen Valley Vineyards 2002 Baco Noir Vintner's Reserve


Hmmm. Wine. Gotta admit I don't know jack about it. All I know is that I like it dark and dry, and this one fits the bill. Look at the color of that!! It's a super dark burgundy with the most beautiful purple hues. The smell is insatiably oaky, with sweet, fruity, and slightly acidic notes. Semi astringent, with big, bright aromas. The taste is absolutely out of this world. Super creamy, almost butterscotch notes with amazing orange and juniper hints. The barrel flavor is not as pronounced as it was in the nose, except in the finish, where it takes over with a puckering, lemony acidity that leaves a long, clean, dry finish. Easily one of the best Baco's I've had.

This place is awesome. It's a small joint nestled in a beautiful valley in Luthersburg, Pa. The folks there are fantastically nice, and truly genuine in their love for wine and the tradition behind it. All of their creations come from small batches, and are delicious. One of the coolest wineries in the area, and with arguably some the best wine around. I've been sitting on this bottle for about a year now. 2002 vintage huh? I was, um, 17 then. Don't tell anyone.

Wine is kinda strange to me. I dig some wines a whole bunch (Baco Noir, Marichal Foch, Cabernet Franc, Gewürztraminer, to name a few), but for the most part they all taste the same to me. Maybe it's just my beginner's palate, but there's so much more complexity and possibility in the broad flavors and ingredients of beer than there is in wine. Don't get me wrong - I'm not an anti-wine kinda beer nerd. I just think the world of beer is so much larger than the world of wine - not any better or worse.

1 comment:

Justin said...

You should definitely try some of the stuff from Rombauer. They're known for their Zinfs, but their merot perfectly fits the bill of what you like. You can find it in some of the premium collection stores.