3.09.2008

Victory Baltic Thunder


I should have known better than to get my hopes up thinking this would be Perkuno's Hammer. Of course it's not, and nothing ever will be. That brew is on a freaking pedestal for me. My first sip of the Hammer was life changing. I never knew a porter could be so awesome. That said, this beer is freaking fantastic. It's very reminiscent of Perkuno's Hammer, but just doesn't have the perfection that it did. Beautiful color. Wonderful sweet and roasty aroma. Full, creamy taste, but a bit over carbonated.

We've been very lucky lately in Indiana - 2 great Baltic Porters: this one and Otter Creek's Sea Otter. Oh, I love me a good Baltic Porter when it's done right. The lager crispness adds the perfect element to the porter profile, instead of just making it overly clean. Lagering a porter really plays well with the styles natural flavors, giving them a platform to shine on. The crispness is the stage, and the roasty, sweet, coffee flavors are the band. Better yet, the crispness is the rhythm for the band to get in to, to get on top of, and to get down with. The lager aspect is the beat, the ale aspect is the melody. Too metaphorical given the fact that I'm describing a beer? I'd say yes.

Ok, I'm done publicly making an ass of myself. My beer is not a band. My beer is tasty, and keeps me very warm. My beer is my friend. Is yours?

No comments: