5.24.2008

Year Old Dogfish Head Festina Peche


Bottled 05/31/07. I've not had many Berliner Weissebiers, but I've always wanted to try more. When this was released last year I was freaking amped. One of the top 5 new brews I tried in 2007, hands down. The acidity was pleasant, the fruitiness was just right, and the finish was perfectly dry and sour. Beautiful. I wound up buying at least 8 4-packs (stupid, I know) and cherished every last one of them - except 3 which wound up in the cellar.

In the glass it is a sparkling gold with lots of fast moving carbonation and a bubbly white head. In the nose it's incredibly funky. Moldy cheese, earthy mushrooms, fruitiness, barnyard notes, and a host of other complexities I can't begin to describe. In the mouth, it's bubbly and effervescent, with clean, lemony acidity and tart citric undertones. The funkiness is intense!! The peach is all but gone, and I'm glad. Intensely dry and mouth-puckering sour finish. After a year, this has done what I hoped - became more acidic. Another year or two, and I'll be able to convince you that you're drinking Gueuze! Funky, funky, funky. I love wild yeast.

Side note: Tonight was productive. First, I racked the Orion Saison to secondary after over a month in primary. FG 1.011. Secondly, I bottled the St. Defibaugh Special Ale, which is tasting delicious. FG 1.018. Third, I cracked a St. Defibaugh Tripel, and while it taste good and all the flavors came through beautifully, it was just barely carbonated. I rolled the bottles around and moved them to a warmer area - hopefully that helps. That is all.

No comments: