6.14.2008

2004 Glades Pike Marechal Foch

Glades Pike is a pretty awesome place - good wine, good atmosphere, and good people. It's basically dead between Seven Springs and Somerset on Route 31. Autumn's sister is having her wedding reception there (the wedding is this Thursday - that's right, Thursday), so I figured I'd bust this dusty bottle out to "brush up".

I'm not much a wine kinda guy, but I know what I like. Dark, dry wines. This one is an absolutely beautiful burgundy purple that looks like the last rays of an autumn sunset (I'm trying to assume the snobby wino's stance right now, bear with me). The aroma is spicy and sweet with chocolate, grape (duh), and musky notes, creating the perfect background for the amazing dark fruit showcase - figs, plums, raisins, black currents and elderberries. The taste is complex and heavy, with loads of acidity. Very dark fruit focused - raspberries, blackberries, black cherries, plums and, well, grapes. Soft oak, vanilla, tobacco, and musky notes in the finish.

This, to me, is pretty much exactly what a wine should taste like. God do I love me a good Foch!! Not often do places around here make this varietal, but I'm glad Glades Pike does. They really do offer a stellar product for the area, and it's nice that they are willing to step out of the box and produce something this intense. It has aged beautifully, and I only wish I had a few more bottles to share with the crew.

No comments: