6.14.2008

Oh Yeah. I Homebrew.

Upon looking through the blog I noticed I haven't posted anything about my homebrews since April. Time to fix that.


Batch 007 - Orion Saison. In secondary right now and has been for a little over two weeks. So far it tastes freaking fantastic - it's dry, herbal, spicy and acidic all at the same time. The yeast is really creating some funktastic flavors, and given the warm temp in our apartment lately, it's just gonna get funkier. OG on this was 1.065 and now it's down to 1.007. YES!! Gonna bottle this one up in about 4 more weeks I'm thinking.

Batch 006 - St. Defibaugh Special Ale - This has been in bottles for about 3 weeks and just starting to carb up. I'm really happy with how it tastes - it's like eating some incredibly sweet gingerbread cookies while smoking a clove cigarette. I give it 2 months before it's ready, 10 before it's at its peak.

Batch 005 - St. Defibaugh Tripel - Been in bottles for over a month and is well carbed. Just a few more "warm days" then it's off to the cellar for a month before I touch one. The oak came out great, all the spices in play, beautiful color, couldn't be happier. Will be peaking in about 18 months I'd say.

Still waiting to brew the holy trinity batches - table beer, followed by an abbey pale on that yeast cake, followed by a quad on that yeast cake - until finances are right. I could do it now, but I'd have to cut corners. In the words of the late, great Hunter S. Thompson, "If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing right."

Cheers.

No comments: