4.10.2008

Green Gables; Jolly Pumpkin Fuego del Otono; What to Brew?; Celebes Stout


Green Gables
What an awesome place. It's in Jennerstown, which is not too terribly far from Indiana, and well worth the drive. Walking up to the place, it kinda looks like a dilapidated old house - until you step inside. The atmosphere alone makes it worth the trip. You have to see it to believe it - very low lit and romantic, with a great old world feel. The menu is fantastic (we were there for brunch) and reasonably priced. I had the Grilled Pork Tenderloin topped with Maple Fingerlings and some kinda greens. It was slathered in a creamy blue cheese sauce, and accented with what they called a balsamic raisin puree. I could've eaten that puree all day. And the presentation was absolutely world class. Well done!

Afterwards we roamed the grounds, which is set on a man made lake. On the grounds there is also a play house, as well as cottages you can rent out. The landscape is breathtaking. You have to check this place out.. One of the best meals I've had in quite some time.



Jolly Pumpkin Fuego del Otono
Special thanks to Justin for picking this up for me. As you all know I love this brewery, and I need to go on yet another rant about why they are so awesome - inconsistency. Each bottle is different than the next, just like some particularly well respected Belgian brewers (Cantillon, Orval, etc..). This one tastes worlds apart from the last one I had. The smell is powerfully acidic with strong pear, apple, and even tangerine notes, but also quite spicy, with cloves and pepper. There is a ton of funk - stale bread, moldy cheese, spoiled juice, and a hint of wet dog - YUM. Beautifully bright and shiny in the mouth. Light, delicate flavors bounce across your tongue - apple, lemon, caramel, ginger, pepper, slight sulfur, iron, and nutty notes. Layers upon layers of vast, bold tastes, and (as I discovered last time) it's better with the dregs in it. Really brings out the complexity. Here he goes again - BEST BREWERY IN AMERICA.

What to Brew?
I need some suggestions or some help picking what to brew next. My brain has officially crapped out. No more thinking for me - it's your turn. I want it to be something sessionable for the warmer months. Pick one:

1. Saison
2. Altbier
3. Mild
4. Belgian Blonde or Pale Ale
5. Old Ale
6. Kolsch
7. Other? (You're call)


Let me know what you would be in the mood to drink at 9:30 AM on a summer Sunday, when it's 96 degrees outside, you haven't slept a wink, and you've just simply got nothing else to do except pound a sixer and hope that chases the boredom away for a few hours.

Celebes Stout
So this seemed to go over well at the last homebrew club meeting. I really appreciate the kind words that everyone said about it. Again, a huge thanks to TJ at Commonplace for supplying the coffee.
I love our little homebrew club. It's so nice to see people of all ages (I'm pretty sure I'm the youngest one - the black sheep, if you will) coming together over a shared passion - everyone there just simply loves beer, and the atmosphere is great. It meant a lot to me for people who have been brewing longer than I've been alive (well, that may be an exaggeration, but not a large one) to say that they enjoyed my beer. I was touched.

There was something else I wanted to rant and rave about, but of course I forgot. I bet I'll remember tomorrow. As for now, I'm finishing off this Jolly Pumpkin, then curling up in bed with a good book.

4 comments:

Dave said...

Saison + Brett = Awesome sunny, summer morning.

Jon (aka santoslhalper) said...

Saison + Brett = drinkable by December at the earliest.

Dave said...

Don't you mean December 2012?

Better get started.

Jon (aka santoslhalper) said...

Oh yeah I forgot.