3.18.2009

The Grey Lodge Pub

Took a long (and interesting) drive up through the northeast Monday and wound up at Grey Lodge Pub. This is one of the top rated bars in the city and I've been dying to check it out. From the outside it's very unassuming and looks like a hole in the wall. Once inside though it's a nice and laid-back joint with comfortable seating and interior. It was very low key when we were there and service was top notch. From the beer to the food, and even the soda, I dig this place a lot. I wish it were in my back yard. The tap list was on point with tons of great locals, and the bottle list was interesting, well chosen, and reasonably priced, but kinda small. I had some Voodoo Gran Met (go Pittsburgh, sort of) and a Love Stout on the beer engine. The cask beer was served perfectly and reminded me how much I am Love Stout fan. The food was superb - french fries that were a mix of russet and sweet potatoes, perfectly fried, and with a great mayo, and shepherd's pie with lamb, beef, and vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes. All well priced, delicious, and incredibly filling. And, the icing on the cake, they had Pennsylvania Dutch Birch beer on draft. BANGING. I left there with a smile on my face. I can't wait to go to my first Friday the Firkinteenth.

No comments: