2.16.2009

It's Alive!!!


Once you go brett, you never go back.

I picked up a bottle of It's Alive! brewed by Mikkeller at De Proef. The label says nothing aside from the name, abv, size and "Belgian Wild Ale." I'm in. This is Mikkeller's tribute, of sorts, to Orval. Cloudy copper body with a thin tan head. Tons of lacing and the head lasts forever. Crazy smell. Chocolate and raisins collide with hay, grass, and crazy saison funk. I get a lot of perfumy notes as well as some cherries and berries. The taste is funky, crisp and dry with enough complexity to render me speechless. The brett is out of control in here and I love it. Crazy finish that lingers forever. A lot heavier on the funk than Orval, but freaking delicious nonetheless. Mikkeller is one of my favorite of the new school Belgian brewers that I've had that pleasure of trying, and this beer is another winner.

1 comment:

Dave said...

I have a bottle of it in the "cellar". It's too bad that the gang isn't here right now, or I'd open it.