2.24.2009

Take a walk on the wild side..

Tried 2 wild brews from 2 newer European breweries. Here's what I thought.

Mikkeller It's Alright! - Had the It's Alive! recently and really enjoyed it so I gave this one a shot. This is the opposite end of the brett spectrum - dry, earthy, horsey. It's very restrained and more akin to Orval than It's Alive! Easy to drink, but I wish it were more complex. Would be a fantastic session beer. I have nothing but good to say about Mikkeller.

Haandbryggeriet Haandbakk - Imperial Flanders Bruin. Hmm.. This was very interesting and highly complex, but it was a bit too much for my taste buds. The oak and fruit flavors were delicious, but the alcohol was too strong and the finish was very vinegar like. It's been a long time since I had an Oud Bruin and it's a style I wish I could have more of. It was refreshing to try a new school take on such an old school style. Can't wait to try more from the Hand Brewery!!

No comments: