2.27.2009

My Time at Victory

I went to Downingtown with Tom yesterday to get some yeast for el Bat. I was only here once before, about 3 years ago, and never got to see the actual brewery. I was completely blown away by the size of this place! I never new Victory was so massively produced and distributed. The size and amount of freaking fermenters in that place was enough to get my beer nerd blood running for weeks. So much good beer!

We met with Dr. Tim and got Golden Monkey yeast for the table beer. Afterward he was nice to enough to let us sample a few beers. The Abbey 6 is currently on draft at the pub, and in my opinion is superior to the Abbey 8, which we currently have on draft at Earth. The 6 is cleaner, more drinkable, and tastes better overall, while the 8 has some strange notes to it that seem a bit off to me. Both are delicious though, and it nice to see them churning out some more Belgians.

Speaking of Belgians and their fantastic yeast, I was lucky enough to try WildDevil, HopDevil fermented with 100% brettanomyces. Young, about a month old, but awesome. The hop profile is delicious when lined up with the bright and dry wild yeast notes. This year's is definitely going to be a winner when released. I also got to try some other wacky wild beer that, while I'm not sure what it was, blew me away. It was still fermenting and tasted like cheese!! I don't think it was Helios.. Whatever. Love it.

As mentioned before I haven't been here in a while and I'm quite impressed with the renovations. It doesn't even look like the same joint!! There is a ton of seating now, the long bar is gone, and the new one is twice as long. Decor was awesome. I love the tun/kettle caps above the bar and big tables. I can't wait to get down here to eat. Before the place kinda felt like a factory but now it feels like a nice restaurant.

Thanks to Victory and Dr. Tim for letting me see the joint, and thanks to Tom for the opportunity. Incredible.

2 comments:

Dave said...

I need WildDevil. Is it ever bottled and shipped to Indiana, PA???

Jon (aka santoslhalper) said...

Draft only last year but should be bottled this year!!